Not a very original subject, but these links might be vaguely interesting:
- Schola: A social network for Latin speakers.
My esteemed coworker Justin pointed me to this device: the Asus Eee. “They even have it in your favorite color”, he claimed; which isn’t true, since it’s not yellow. :-) Not that it matters so much if you’re colorblind…
But anyway. The stupid idea is:
- install C64 emulator on it (it runs Linux, so it should be possible to run e.g. Vice)
- install oodles of C64 games on it (can be found online at various places)
- um, that’s it. You now have a portable C64. ^_^
Supposedly this can be done with the PSP as well, and it even has an analog stick that could be used to emulate a joystick, but I never managed to get it to work. :-(
(I mention this because my “Commodore Project” is stalled at the moment. Over time, I collected a C64, a Plus/4, a 1541-II, two Quickshot joysticks, 5 1/4″ floppy disks, and a XE1541 cable to transfer files from PC to C64. That last part never worked. Then my Windows box died. 1) So I’m disgruntled and looking for a better way to play all those old games. (Other than using an emulator on OS X, an area in which the Mac isn’t a very strong player, by the way.))
Someday I should really blog about things that actually do work. :-/
1) Hopefully the two events were unrelated.