Another year went by. Much has happened. … OK, maybe not that much. Still, here’s an overview.
- Health-wise, we’ve been doing relatively well. My wife’s condition is stable. Baby Amari is doing well, walks around now, talking up a storm (although nobody knows what she’s saying :-). Myself, I am pudgy as usual, and had high blood pressure for a while, but that seems to be taken care of.
- Professionally, things didn’t go so well… The 20 hours at iTrackr became none at all, after which I spent several months looking for work. Applied to a ton of places, sometimes got an interview out of it, but no success (other than a two-month contracting job for Sean McKay, which helped us staying afloat). Eventually I was re-hired by Oasis Digital, a previous employer of mine, to work on the same system that I originally wrote for them during 2002-2007. (Besides maintenance, we are going to do some more interesting stuff as well, like porting the code base to IronPython.) I actually like that a lot better than iTrackr… =/
- Family life has been chaotic as usual, but it has been improving. People still do stupid stuff, is all I will say about it here.
- Programming languages are still one of my main interests… so I dabbled in many of them, some new, some old, e.g. Clojure, Miranda, Haskell, OCaml, SML, Q, J, Io, Common Lisp, D, etc. I also wrote a few toy interpreters (see my projects page).
- I finished the Magi-Nation Search project (well, mostly). This is really more for personal use since nobody plays Magi-Nation anymore, but still. It also gave me the opportunity to get some experience with Google App Engine.
- Didn’t travel much; went to Disney, that’s about it. :-) No visit to the Netherlands this year; maybe in 2010?
- Reconnected with old friends and acquaintances on Facebook and elsewhere. (Hi, Mirella. ;-)
- Being unemployed and all, I sold some stuff on eBay so I could get new gear for work. (Lesson: 80/20 rule applies here… 20% of the items account for 80% of the money.) I had been looking at netbooks for a while, and eventually decided on getting a HP Mini 311. I like it, but that’s a topic for another post.